[Live-demo] review of OpenLayers Overview for osgeo-live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 05:43:42 PDT 2010

Chris,
Thanks for your Openlayers Overview text.

I've reviewed and added suggested changes as below. (Feel free to revert
if you disagree with my suggestions). In particular, I've tried to add a
bit of a "user benefits" (why is pure JS good?).
I've also included a Core Features section. I suspect you will want to
refine this list of functionality.

Source text is at:
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/overview

    Browser GIS Client¶ <cid:part1.06060904.03040106 at gmail.com>

OpenLayers makes it easy for web developers to embed dynamic maps, from
a multitude of sources, in any web page. OpenLayers provides an
extensive list of mapping tools and widgets, similar to Google Maps. All
functionally runs inside the web browser, which makes OpenLayers easy to
install, without any server side dependencies.

OpenLayers is renound for its comprehensive testing and release cycles,
ensuring stability across the hundreds of different browser versions.

      Core Features¶ <cid:part2.08080709.02030109 at gmail.com>

    * Loads map layers from many sources:
          o Google, Bing, Yahoo
          o WMST, WFS, WFS-T WMS, GeoRSS, GML
          o ArcGIS, Images, MapGuide, MapServer, TileCache,
            VirtualEarth, WorldWind,
    * Tools
          o Pan, Zoom, Draw, Edit, Save, ...
    * Popups
    * Markers
    * Reprojections

Original Text:

  OpenLayers¶ <cid:part3.06080709.02000403 at gmail.com>

    Web map engine¶ <cid:part4.09020608.06010209 at gmail.com>

OpenLayers makes it easy to put a dynamic map in any web page. It can
display map tiles and markers loaded from any source. OpenLayers is a
pure JavaScript library for displaying map data in most modern web
browsers, with no server-side dependencies. OpenLayers implements a
JavaScript API for building rich web-based geographic applications,
similar to the Google Maps API.

Furthermore, OpenLayers implements industry-standard methods for
geographic data access, such as the OpenGIS Consortium's Web Mapping
Service (WMS) and Web Feature Service (WFS) protocols. Under the hood,
OpenLayers is written in object-oriented JavaScript.

As a framework, OpenLayers is intended to separate map tools from map
data so that all the tools can operate on all the data sources. This
separation breaks the proprietary silos that earlier GIS revolutions
have taught civilization to avoid. The mapping revolution on the public
Web should benefit from the experience of history.

Geospatial Director