[Live-demo] 4.0rc7 Trimming for Space

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 19:36:43 PDT 2010

Alex wrote:
> So we're a bit over on space at ~4.7-4.8(4.74) GB
> That means we need to trim 340 MB from the final in
> order to be able to burn a DVD. So that's either ~680
> MB worth of stuff in the live OS and/or 340 from the
> Windows/Mac installers.

how much can you stuff on a dvd? I always stop at 4.3gb
to be safe & save time, vs fighting for that last 50mb
gained..

> By no means all of the options, just some obvious ones
> Option 1: Remove the Mac Installers ~ 530MB Savings

we have more potential converts per capita among Mac
users, they will already be looking for alternatives
and the ports from unix will be cleaner. Because it is
mostly from William, there is no duplication of libraries
as they all use common frameworks, versus the Windows
installers all with their own JRE, gdal, etc.
I'm not a fan of this option.

> Option 2: Remove non-OSGeo Installers ~ 411.9MB Savings
>     Things that would be removed:
>     Mac: php5 45.3 MB, udig 86 MB, R 36.8 MB
>     Win: Kosmo 117.6 MB, udig 93.8MB,opencpn
> 14.6,maptiler 12.5,saga 5.3

(does geoserver on mac depend on that php5?)

can someone please provide a `ls -lSh` listing of the two
installer dirs?

I've now rather regretfully commented out the 2x udig
installers and 1x kosmo win installer. (total saved:
297.4mb [compressed])    :-/ terribly sorry 'bout that.

fwiw no responses to the request to provide JRE-less
versions of installers, and udig for Mac was actually at
the latest version AFAICT.

I think it's a bit silly to switch of saga at only 5mb.

> Option 3: Trim more stuff from the live portion.

I have now switched off the octave installer, that saves
something like 32mb. emacs is now gone (~61 mb) as is
smbclient (~32mb). I've also changed the top-50 list to
a top-75 list so we see more in the 10-15mb range.
(total saved: 125mb uncompressed -> ~62mb? compressed)

the grand java dedupe on the next release with fslint will be nice for some room to grow, and maybe get those
installers back on.

Jody:
> Talking with Cameron some space can be saved by
> removing the .svn information (which actually adds up
> over time).

yes, it pretty much doubles the space. (allows offline diffs & reverts) & should be removed.
"svn export" instead of "svn checkout"

I don't have a full checkout to test, but I expect
probably 90% of space is in doc/images and thirdly
duplicated in the installed docs dir. additionally
the images are mostly-precompressed so that's an easy
~ 150mb [compressed] saved.

maybe Alex just wants to `rm -rf doc/images/` by hand?
`du -sh doc/images/` to start with anyway..

Brian:
[installers]
> is it really 'hook' to get someone to use a LiveDVD ?

the point is to get them to use FOSS4G. I don't care if
they use the livedvd as long as they've made the choice
to install and try the program somehow, it's still a win.

>  to get more involved in a project?

absolutely.

> great work that the build log generates that disk usage
> info... very handy for this moment..

note that they are rather bogus. the package-hog top 50
(now 75) is better, but it is still not perfect as
uncompressed size is a pretty bad indicator of compressed
size on the ISO file system and non-.deb are invisible.

the disk usage list includes the /tmp/build_* dir which
may double the real installed size, and whatever script
comes first pays the price for installing deps used by
those that follow (eg whichever of grass or qgis comes
first will make the other one much smaller).

so between in-VM reductions, fewer 3rd party installers,
and removing .svn/ cruft, I think we'll be able to make
this boat float again (if just).

Hamish