[Live-demo] Monitoring usage of the osgeo-live website

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Dec 6 16:12:29 PST 2010

On 12/06/2010 01:31 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> It would be very useful in asking for contributions to OSGeo-Live if we
> could quote metrics about OSGeo-Live usage.
>
> Alex, Hamish,
> Do we have access to such metrics on http://live.osgeo.org ?
>
> Even better, would be if we could also be notified every time someone
> opens a web page on the OSGeo-Live DVD. I'm not sure if that is possible.

Yes, the metrics can be calculated from the apache logs. I'll have to
check if webalizer or awstats is running on that server yet. I do have
webalizer running on my download mirror and have some initial scripts to
import apache logs into postgres for more detailed analysis.

While possible, doing something like that on the DVD would rely on
internet connections and might be somewhat invasive. I'd rather provide
an optional feedback system.

Analyzing the download logs, conference attendance demographics and
creating a feedback survey are all part of my plan. I was actually just
talking with my advisor today about how to work that into my dissertation.