[Live-demo] Fw: Torrent tracker

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Dec 14 15:13:43 PST 2010

>>> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/
>>> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/
>>>
>>> there is no torrent tracker yet set up for the DVD images,
>>> but if anyone has experience on how to set up that sort of
>>> thing please introduce yourself on the live-demo mailing
>>> list.
>> On Dec 15, 2010 Markus wrote:
>> We got his offer from ibiblio.org (pls forward to the
>> live-demo mailing list.):
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM, John Reuning <john at ibiblio.org>
>> wrote:
>>> I also wanted to open a dialog about using BitTorrent for
>>> distribution.  ibiblio has a torrent site that we use for
>>> other projects.  http://torrent.ibiblio.org/  One of
>>> our goals for the next several months is to add more
>>> projects.  The grass software and gis sample data sets look
>>> like great candidates.  We have search/browse as well as
>>> seeding software designed for server use.  The torrents
>>> should never go stale as long as you intend to distribute
>>> the content.
>>>
>>> If you're interested, we'll make the files available and
>>> provide you links for your web pages.  In future updates to
>>> the web site, we plan to add self-service tools for you to
>>> take control over your content.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -John R.
>>
>> cheers
>> Markus
>

> Yes, that sounds very useful!
> Our DVD ISO-image downloads are here:
>   http://live.osgeo.org/download.html
>

> (for those of you in the game long enough to remember the old
> days, Ibiblio is the former & most famous Sunsite FTP repo,
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibiblio )
>

> regards,
> Hamish

If you remember correctly I did do a torrent for version 3. Decided not
to do one for version 4 partly because we didn't have enough mirrors but
also because there was little demand (only about 120 downloads total)
compared to the regular download.

Currently the ISO downloads are managed by me using mirrorbrain as I
mentioned on the geodata list earlier today. We also have 3 mirrors up
right now, 2 in the US and 1 in Germany. I would be more than happy to
add additional mirrors & torrents to the configuration.