[Live-demo] geopublisher sucking in openoffice? & missing project descriptions

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Feb 4 08:50:25 PST 2010

listas wrote:
> Hi Alex, let me just a few things about Kosmo Advanced Printing:
>
> A screenshot wouldn't make sense always on a map. Maps need to be
> printed at a very high resolution that a screenshot surely don't have.
> It's not only a question of image quality, also about size ratios.
> Depending on the size of the document  you need elements at different
> sizes or resolution. Respecting the scale of a map is a fundamental
> thing. A map without an exact scale is not a map, its just a draw. You
> surely don't comply those requirements pasting a screenshot.
>
> On the other hand not only images are sent to the OOo document but
> graphical and textual elements that may be part of the map like
> descriptions on how the map is represented, legends, titles and other
> things. Those elements must be sent to the OOo Draw document because
> it's too hard work to do it manually.
>
> Kosmo also manage multiple/complex views, legends, details, scales, etc
> ... with OOo.  OOo is far better in printing than anything we could
> develop inside Kosmo.
>
> It is neccesary OOo oficial version.  In different linux flavours there
> are substantial differences and sometimes there is missing neccesary files.
>
> If possible, it is very important for Kosmo (and I think/hope for users
> :) ) OOo oficial version.
>
> Best regards
>
> Antonio

I was curious to see screenshot of what it looks like, I'm well aware of
the other issues.

So it's kind of like a reporting tool and map layout.

I doubt we will ever use an OpenOffice that isn't directly from the Repo
on the live disc so it will depend on the base image(Which is likely
going to be Ubuntu or Debian for the near future). From my perspective
as an Ubuntu user personally (Which is the most popular desktop distro
of the last several years) it would be great if you could talk with
Ubuntu about getting what you need back into OOo or modifying the code
to not need it.