[Live-demo] Re: [Foss4g2010] LiveDVD again

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:15:29 PST 2010

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> Hi guys, I've read that Jody is presenting a workshop over his
> experience with the LiveDVD.
Has this already been confirmed as selected? This is great.

It will probably also be appropriate to have a LiveDVD lightening
presentation (30 minute slot) as one of the first sessions. I had
feedback that a number of managers would have liked to get an overview
of everything on offer on the first day, so they could see what they
should attend for the rest of the conference.

> I have not much time to stay behind this but I know this is an
> important issue, that we should start moving.
> I there anybody that want to move a Board for the liveDVD? probably
> the LiveDVD list can do it on its own.
>
> suggestions?
>
> lorenzo

Lorenzo,
We now have a strong community behind the LiveDVD, and excellent build
processes in place, and a commitment to have a LiveDVD image ready for
FOSS4G 2010.
I'm personally committed to it, and am prepared to ensure that you will
have a Live DVD at FOSS4G 2010. A number of others on our list are also
very committed.

I'm expecting the LiveDVD to be central to a number of presentations and
workshops at FOSS4G this year, and will probably include a reasonable
amount of training material as well as software.

What we will need from the FOSS4G 2010 organising committee is:

1. (Very Important) A financial commitment to put a LiveDVD in every
showbag at the conference. Is it factored in your budget yet? If not,
please factor it in. This early commitment from the Organising Committee
provides projects with the motivation to ensure their packages are up to
date and working.

2. Someone local to burn and distribute the DVD for us. (We may find
that person ourselves in the next few months)

Geospatial Systems Architect