[Live-demo] RC1 Logs online

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 03:46:56 PST 2010

> > Alex:
> >> Noticed the index.html has had a lot of manual changes on the
> >> server that aren't in svn. Please remember to merge
> >> your changes back so we don't lose sync on that.

Hamish:
> > why again are we maintaining this twice? why not just
> > wget it from the website as part of the build process?

Alex:
> Actually I was referring to the downloads.osgeo.org/livedvd/index.html
> not the local help on the Disc.

yeah, but either way: Why are we maintaining this twice ???
It sucks away our time and is a PITA. Because of that it is always going
to be out of sync. Case in point:

Cameron wrote:
> Alex, I didn't realise the download
> index.html was in svn. A good idea to put it in svn though.
> I will work with the svn doc in future.

Either we maintain it in svn and set up a cron job on the download
server to copy over the latest version from SVN once an hour; or we
delete it from SVN and pull it in from the download dir as part of the
install_main_docs.sh script. (but I'm not really sure why it has to be
on the DVD in the first place)

The downside of having it on the download server is that only the few of
us with shell/scp access to it can modify it. [extra maintenance burden]

The upside of having it on the download server is that only the few of
us with shell/scp access to it can modify it. [improved server security]

choose your poison.

I don't think "both" is a very good long term solution, it's more work
and it is known not to work.

regards,
Hamish