[Live-demo] Splash screen for the LiveDVD

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 22 16:19:43 PST 2010

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> live dvd community,
>
> I've briefly got access to LISAsoft's graphic artist between jobs for a
> day or 2 this week, and am looking to give him direction on what we wish
> see in the splash screen.
>
> I'm looking to hear ideas here, so that we can direct him appropriately.
>
> My suggestions:
> * I think we should keep a common theme running through the various
> distributions. In particular, we have been building a reputation around
> a wombat. I'm open to dressing the wombat up into different poses.
>
> * While keeping the same theme, we should make the background
> recognisably different from the last distribution, maybe using orange or
> blue colours, (and OSGeo Green for the 4.0 foss4g 2010 release).
>
> * We should incorporate the OSGeo logo prominently.
>
> * We should keep the desktop background relatively simple and
> non-intrusive as it will likely be covered with logos.
>
> Any other ideas we should consider?

I think we should move towards more OSGeo related branding as a whole,
giving credit to contributors and sponsors where appropriate.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Material_Samples
(All samples are available in svn, http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/)

For splash screens and backgrounds I was thinking of using the
presentation slide template (As Jody pointed out) and/or the front page
of the brochure's background - I prefer this because it's darker and
easier to see things on top of it.
(http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/brochures/two-side-colour-2009/source-inkscape/OSGeo_Brochure_09_front.svg)

Outside of Australia/Foss4g2009 I don't think there's any particular
hold on the wombat. As I mentioned before if we want a custom touch each
year, it should be dictated by the FOSS4G. So yes for this release we
could keep the wombat somewhere, but small, the biggest thing on the
page should be OSGeo.