[Live-demo] Re: [Foss4g2010] Re: [Workshops] FOSS4G 2010 Call for Workshops and Tutorials is open

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jan 22 09:14:07 PST 2010

Price has been the only major holdup on USB sticks. I've used them in
the past on all sorts of hardware and they usually don't have any more
compatibility issues than the DVDs (top 2 issues are displays and
wireless cards). I have not come across any recent machine that can't
boot from usb. The best part about a USB install is that you can make it
persistent so files a user makes while booted are saved to the drive,
including updates to make wireless work or config tweaks for other hardware.

Not having gotten any quotes yet my guess is the price is $6-8 ea for
4GB usb sticks. Price for DVDs is $2-3 ea.(I have started getting quotes
for these)

Alex