[Live-demo] Re: [OSGeo] #545: No documentation for GDAL/OGR

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jul 5 14:07:25 PDT 2010

On 06/29/2010 01:54 AM, OSGeo wrote:
> #545: No documentation for GDAL/OGR
> ---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  wildintellect  |        Owner:  live-demo@…
>      Type:  enhancement    |       Status:  closed
> Changes (by camerons):
>
>   * keywords:  GDAL => GDAL 4.0
>   * status:  new => closed
>   * resolution:  => wontfix
>

> Comment:
>
>  As I understand it, GDAL is a library, not an application.
>  As the LiveDVD is targeting newbie users, it's goal is to show off
>  applications. (Libraries are of interest to programmers, not users)
>
>  So I'm closing out this issue, without fixing anything. It may be opened
>  again if someone thinks I've got this wrong.

GDAL/OGR while being libraries also contain many useful command line
programs (utilities) for converting between formats, generating tiles,
etc. Examples of how to use these tools are in the GDAL/OGR online docs.

I agree it's not a showstopper but hence flagged as an enhancement, not
a bug. I guess based on that reasoning I will probably reopen this ticket.