[Live-demo] Proposal for future revisions

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jul 5 18:34:22 PDT 2010

Something just occurred to me and I'd like to kick around the idea for
the next release after v4.

What if we only change the xubuntu version once a year? We'd still build
twice a year, but the intermediate release would just be updates to
versions of applications that have readily available updates.

This would line up with our switching the local dataset to the foss4g
location each year. Conceivably this could save us a lot of time trying
to tackle the changes in ubuntu releases and hoping that various
packagers are up to date.

Theoretical release schedule:
v4 -using xubuntu 10.04 - 9/2010
v4.1 using xubuntu 10.04 - 3/2010
v5 using xubuntu 11.04 - 9/2011
etc...

If everyone chips in 2c we might have enough to buy a slice of
proverbial pie...