[Live-demo] Version 4 beta 2 up

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 02:20:23 PDT 2010

Alex wrote:

> Notes:
>
> For some reason on boot, it defaults to an Xterm session instead of a
> Xubuntu session - make sure to select the correct session before you
> submit the password.

I got the same thing here in my VM's "user" acc't after running install_
desktop.sh.  I suspect we need to update the auto-login config file.

of interest:

52n: mv: cannot stat `/usr/local/52nWPS/52n.png': No such file or directory
     fixed broken shebang

qgis:  cp: cannot stat `/tmp/.qgis/python/plugins/': No such file or directory
       use /tmp/build_qgis not /tmp/

R stats:  Rmpi, rpvm, and rsprng fail to complie  (trac #601)
            https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/601

install_services.sh:  I get the feeling that it's not a good idea to install
  openssh-server by default. At minimum we need to verify that the ISO
  builder deletes the RSA and DSA keys, but still allowing remote login
  with publicly posts passwords will not be too fun for folks who install
  from this disc. Instructions on how to install it and generate keys are
  in the Getting Started wiki page fwiw.

geoserver: 'export FOO=bar' is a Bashism and will not work with
   Ubuntu's #!/bin/sh (which is dash)

install_pgrouting:  please use the psql --quiet flag

install_postgis:  is this a problem? (seems to work anyway..)
Using projection SRS 4326 (Latlong)
Setting up table: planet_osm_point
NOTICE:  table "planet_osm_point" does not exist, skipping
NOTICE:  table "planet_osm_point_tmp" does not exist, skipping
Setting up table: planet_osm_line
NOTICE:  table "planet_osm_line" does not exist, skipping
NOTICE:  table "planet_osm_line_tmp" does not exist, skipping
Setting up table: planet_osm_polygon
NOTICE:  table "planet_osm_polygon" does not exist, skipping
NOTICE:  table "planet_osm_polygon_tmp" does not exist, skipping
Setting up table: planet_osm_roads
NOTICE:  table "planet_osm_roads" does not exist, skipping
NOTICE:  table "planet_osm_roads_tmp" does not exist, skipping
[...]
Committing transaction for planet_osm_point
Committing transaction for planet_osm_polygon
Sorting data and creating indexes for planet_osm_point
Committing transaction for planet_osm_roads
Sorting data and creating indexes for planet_osm_polygon
Sorting data and creating indexes for planet_osm_roads
Committing transaction for planet_osm_line
Sorting data and creating indexes for planet_osm_line
Completed planet_osm_polygon
Completed planet_osm_roads
Completed planet_osm_point
Completed planet_osm_line

> Actual build time was about 2 hours + 1 or so to compress the files
> which are at 3.8GB.

does that include /tmp/build_* ?   if so, how big is that?
how about /var/cache/apt/archives/ ?

The linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic package (92mb) can now be removed.
 (replaced by linux-image-2.6.32-23-generic)

openjdk-6-jre-headless is still installed by setup.sh  (74mb)

gimp-data, pidgin-data was removed but it is still installed ?! (33, 24 mb)
 (another weird thing is install_java removed pdftk for no reason)

> Does GvSig still install it's own java, I thought they were on the
> standard one now, only noticed because it asked me to accept the sun
> license etc...

That's the Java advanced imaging API. A question might be why all the
other Java apps which use raster arrays are not presenting that agreement.
?

[.. the sooner Java apps become JRE independent the better IMO .. Java may
be one of the most widely (internally) deployed languages in corporations,
but an open Java is simply not something contributing to Larry's bottom line ..]

regards,
Hamish