[Live-demo] Re: Please give us your OSGeo Live Quick Start documentation this coming week.

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 04:46:20 PDT 2010

I forgot to mention that Jody put together some great Quick Start
documentation, including screen grabs, for FOSS4G, in Open Office
format, which can be cut and pasted into the OSGeo Live documentation.

I've copied the documentation here:
ftp://ftp.a2end.com/UPLOADS/FriendlyIntroductionToGeospatial/

The following projects have been covered:

FriendlyTour.odt:
* GeoNetwork
* Deegree
* Mapserver
* GRASS
* Open JUMP
* KOSMO
* gvSIG
* qGIS

FriendlyPostGIS.odt
* PostGIS

FrindlyIntroduction.odt
* UDig
* GeoServer

FriendlyEditing.odt
* GeoServer

On 18/07/10 21:07, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Again with the help of Jody, we have defined the OSGeo Live Quick
> Start template which I'm hoping most applications will follow.
>
> These quick starts are aimed to help a new user try the application
> for the first time and should describe how to run one core function
> from an application in ~ 5 minutes.
>
> How to write the Quick Start is described here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Application_Quick_Start
>
> An example Quick Start source is here:
> https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/quickstart/udig_quickstart.rst
>

> I've attempted to make it very easy to write these docs by providing
> lots of comments and tips. So I'm hoping most projects can create
> these documents relatively easily.
>
> We have a documentation freeze in just over a week, so now is the time
> to write Project Overviews (mandatory) and Project Quick Starts
> (highly desirable)

Geospatial Director