[Live-demo] Openlayers looking very amateur on OSGeo-Live DVD

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 14:30:50 PDT 2010

I'm very concerned about the unprofessional impression left by the
Openlayers installation on the OSGeo-Live DVD when compared with the
other packages.

I think this primarily stems from there being no representative from the
Openlayers community stepping forward to be a point of contact to
coordinate between Openlayers and OSGeo-Live packagers - as has been the
case with other projects.

In particular:
* We don't have a 1 page overview doc, written in RST format - which is
converted into very professional output. How to write it is written here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Application_Overview

* Ideally, we'd also have a Quick Start written too. (Although this is
not mandatory this time around)
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Application_Quick_Start

* I don't think we have an Openlayers icon which opens up the Openlayers
example yet, which would require some tweaking of the bash install script.

* I think Openlayers still needs the CD to be connected to the internet
to show basemaps, rather than working effectively offline.

If anyone thinks they can tackle any of the above tasks, could you
please speak up. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss if you like.

Geospatial Director