[Live-demo] review of pgRouting Overview docs

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 05:14:22 PDT 2010

Daniel,
Thank you for your pgRouting Overview docs. Your docs are good and I've
only made minor comments, mainly reducing words, hopefully without
removing meaning.
I did comment out the "Implemented Standards" section, as it seems that
pgRouting doesn't make use of specific OGC standards.

I've committed changes back into svn. The results are below. Please
review and update if I've made mistakes.

  pgRouting¶ <cid:part1.06020407.04020605 at gmail.com>

    GIS Tools¶ <cid:part2.01070201.05040602 at gmail.com>

pgRouting extends the PostGIS
<cid:part3.00030107.01030003 at gmail.com>/PostgreSQL
<http://www.postgresql.org> geospatial database to provide geospatial
routing functionality.

Advantages of the database routing approach are:

    * Data and attributes can be modified by many clients, like Quantum
      GIS <cid:part4.01020905.00010206 at gmail.com> and uDig
      <file:///home/cshorter/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/overview/_build/html/udig_overview.html>
      through JDBC, ODBC, or directly using Pl/pgSQL. The clients can
      either be PCs or mobile devices.
    * Data changes can be reflected instantaneously through the routing
      engine. There is no need for precalculation.
    * The ?cost? parameter can be dynamically calculated through SQL and
      its value can come from multiple fields or tables.

      Core Features¶ <cid:part5.06000601.03060700 at gmail.com>

pgRouting provides functions for:

    * Shortest Path Dikstra: routing algorithm without heuristics
    * Shortest Path A-Star: routing for large datasets (with heuristics)
    * Shortest Path Shooting-Star: routing with turn restrictions (with
      heuristics)
    * Traveling Salesperson Problem (TSP)
    * Driving Distance calculation (Isolines)

      Details¶ <cid:part6.07020608.00090402 at gmail.com>

*Website:* http://www.pgrouting.org

*Licence:* GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2

*Software Version:* 1.03 (svn)

*Supported Platforms:* Linux, Windows, Mac

*API Interfaces:* SQL

*Commercial Support:* http://www.pgrouting.org

Geospatial Director