[Live-demo] What dataset should your application use on the LiveDVD?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 15:47:08 PDT 2010

Cameron wrote:
> I've created an "install_gisdata.sh" script, which downloads the
> following naturalearth datasets:

great, thanks.

> Hamish, I've copied the installing of the Barcelona.osm dataset from
> install_osm.sh, except instead of calling it barcelona.osm,
> I'm calling the dataset highlightedcity.osm
> The reason for this is that I'm wanting to ensure that we can change the
> dataset year to year without effecting application examples which use
> the dataset.
> Is this realistic? Can applications determine the area of interest from
> an OSM file?
>
> Hamish, could you please review this script, and if you are happy with
> it, remove the corresponding lines from install_osm.sh

We have to change the bounding box anyway, so the filename is not that
much extra effort once every 6 months to update. Anyway the Xapi/OSM data
download takes about 20 minutes to extract so for the test builds I've
stashed a cached copy on the download server but will re-enable the
fetching of the most up-to-date version for the final RCs. i.e. manual
intervention is required by the OSM install script maintainer anyway.
(which happens to be me right now)

What I'll do is keep the heavy lifting of the download in install_osm.sh,
but change install_gisdata.sh to make a symlink called feature_city.osm.bz2
to provide a steady filename for tutorials and e.g. any PostGIS data upload
to use.

honestly I can't promise that I'll be able to even quickly review any
scripts over the next couple of weeks; but I'll try to find the time
somehow.

Hamish