[Live-demo] IRC meeting to discuss RC3 and final releases of the liveDVD

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Mar 2 12:14:04 PST 2010

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I suggest we have a meeting this Th/Fr to discuss outstanding issues on
> the LiveDVD, as per wiki page below.
>
> Feel free to add items to the agenda
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Meeting_Minutes#Th.2FFr_4_Mar_2010
>
> Time:
> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2010&month=3&day=4&hour=19&min=0&sec=0&p1=22&p2=240&p3=195&p4=179&p5=137
> <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2010&month=3&day=4&hour=19&min=0&sec=0&p1=22&p2=240&p3=195&p4=179&p5=137>
>

> Location: irc://freenode.net#foss4g
>
> Background:
>
>    * According to our schedule, we are a few days late for our RC3
>      release. I hope that we can the next release out this weekend,
>
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdE1SYUN3YWJ2N1NpSUczbW9IRWZNclE&hl=en_GB
>

> <http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdE1SYUN3YWJ2N1NpSUczbW9IRWZNclE&hl=en_GB>
>

>    * And we have 12 days till the final release.
>    * This meeting is to set out our plan for getting this final release
>      out the door.
>
> Agenda:
>
>    * Planning and documenting testing, as per: [Live_GIS_Disc_Testing].
>      I want to have a brief test description for every package, and
>      then track that someone has tested every application.
>    * Decide on background image
>    * Decide on menu structure, (can we loose the icons from the desktop?)
>    *  From the next release, we need to test creating an ISO image. Do
>      we have a volunteer?
>    * Documentation: I'd love it if someone could go through all
>      documentation and make it consistent (without changing any
>      content). If we are really keen, it would be good if someone could
>      incorporate Jody's OpenOffice overview of each package, and
>      incorporate this into the documentation build. Jody has documented
>      how to start up and run most of the packages, using screen
>      snapshots and all. I've worked out how we can convert these docs
>      into HTML from an install script using abiword. If we haven't got
>      time for this, it will need to wait until the next release.

Opps, I didn't realize we had specific dates for RC builds. I was doing
them as enough things got fixed and tasks were done. So in the case of
the next one I was hoping to finish the menu moving madness before next
build and the background change. Otherwise there would be almost no
change between RC candidates (except that pgrouting might be fixed now).

I can start building ISO files, with RC3. Should I wait until we've
picked a background and decided on the menu business before I start the
build?

Maybe we need to stop calling these RC, since that implies that if
nothing is wrong it will be the final version - but there are clearly
broken an unfinished tasks known before the build.

See you at the meeting.