[Live-demo] Add all installed application to the menu at the top of the desktop.

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 07:41:39 PST 2010

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio wrote:
> I understand that you have _NOT_ edited this file:
> /etc/xdg/xubuntu/menus/xfce-applications.menu
> in your new .sh scripts. Is that so?

That is so. I have not edited, added, or removed anything from
the main Applications menu. I used it as a template to make a
brand new menu right next to it containing only the Geo apps &
help, and added it to the panel.

It should be fairly simple to add more submenus to the new
xfce-osgeo.menu (eg beta*), but for now I've started out simple
just to confirm that it works.

The file I did edit is the skeleton copy from which new panels
are cloned:  /etc/xdg/xubuntu/xfce4/panel/panels.xml

So it assumes that the ISO build process will be starting as
a new user with a fresh home dir.

If it all actually works on the first take I'll be happy and
mildly surprised. I'm sort of making the big assumption that
9.10 is going to have a similar layout to 9.04 (is there still
a top taskbar?).

Any project which does not install an icon on the desktop will
not be in the new menu.

> If one of your scripts does update that file, which .sh is
> it?

the only script involved is install_desktop.sh.
see trac #419 for hints.
  https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/419

regards,
Hamish

ps- without install_beta_and_submenu.sh it would have taken
me about another 5 hours to track down all theses scattered
interconnected files. so very a big thank you.