[Live-demo] Add all installed application to the menu at the top of the desktop.

Judit Mays mays at lat-lon.de
Mon Mar 8 07:23:05 PST 2010

Hamish schrieb:
> Alex wrote:
>> Looking at it some more I'm not sure we've done a very good
>> job of sorting the icons either.
>
> I did it as a first pass; refinement is most welcome.
>
> It is easy to make adjustments- in the install_desktop.sh script
> add/remove names to these lines:
>
> DESKTOP_APPS="grass qgis gvsig openjump uDig ossimplanet Kosmo_2.0_RC1"
> NAV_APPS="MapFish marble gpsdrive opencpn mapnik-* josm gosmore"
> SERVER_APPS="deegree-* geoserver-* *geonetwork geomajas-* mapserver"
> GEO_TOOLS="maptiler imagelinker r spatialite-* geokettle"
>
> (names based on $APP.desktop files in the ~/Desktop/ dir; technically
> they should be based on the debian package name they belong to, but
> whatever)
>
> entire new menus require a new *.menu file.

[...]
> Along similar lines I strongly wonder if we should rename "Servers" as
> "Web Services"?

yes, this makes perfect sense to me. Also the categorie's submenue
should not be called "geoservers" as this may be confused with the
application GeoServer.
(see install_desktop.sh, line 144: Categories=Geospatial;Geoservers;)

And while I am at it: deegree should be in this category as well.
I am just reporting this as deegree already is in the SERVER_APPS list
but it doesn't seem to work out in 3.0-rc3a.iso. It does not show up in
the respective folder. Instead, deegree icons are still crowding the
desktop.

Has the change in install_desktop.sh been made after this rc3a-build?
that would figure.

Greetings,
 Judit