[Live-demo] Python scripts in build?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Mar 14 00:36:21 PST 2010

Hamish wrote:
> Alex wrote:
>> I was looking to do some work on the auto docs build
>> specifically inserting the standard header in the test
>> (downloaded from wiki) but I don't really know how to do it
>> all in bash.
>
> with more details I might be able to donate an example.
> do you need to `cat file2 >> file1` but to the beginning of an
> existing file1?
>

>> Is it a problem to do some of these html docs mashing scripts
>> in python instead? I'd be fine with bash, I just don't think I
>> have the skill for that right now.
>
> I have no problem using python scripts if they are genuinely the
> best tool for the job. ie when you need to use a real programming
> language, and doing it in Bourne shell starts to look like some
> advanced perl modem noise. (I don't have a problem with perl
> scripts either if they are the best tool for the job, as long as
> they are written & commented in such a way that non-perl experts
> can still debug and maintain them.
>

> Hamish

Take pre.html and tests.html (which is a downloaded wiki page in the
main_docs.sh), insert everything after the body opening tag in test.html
onto the end of pre.html and save the file as tests.html. Assuming
dropping the head section of the wiki page doesn't screw up formatting
that should be it. Minor formatting can then be fixed by arramagong.css
which I can handle.