[Live-demo] new apps for 4.0

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 23:50:51 PDT 2010

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For the September release I propose that we invite the Sahana and
>> Ushahidi projects to take a spot on the live-{dvd|vm|usb|demo}.
>>
>> http://www.sahanafoundation.org
>> http://www.ushahidi.com
>>
>> while there are currently no formal ties to OSGeo that I know of, both
>> have a strong mapping component, so maybe we could start creating some.
>>

>> regards,
>> Hamish
>>

>> ps- typo in the new liner notes artwork- it's based on xubuntu 9.10, not
>> 9.04, and it is unclear to me what exactly Lisasoft is claiming copyright
>> over on the cd label and rear case label? Permission to redistribute is
>> not the same thing as claiming sole copyright. See the official Ubuntu
>> disc and disc case for an example of this balance managed well.
>>

> I'd like to formally invite all projects that are on the Live* to become
> at minimum OSGeo Labs projects to encourage their participation in OSGeo
> and make a soft rule that being an OSGeo Project, Incubation Project or
> Labs project is the only way to guarantee a spot on the disc (note
> becoming a labs project is really easy). Now that we've reached our
> current size we can't just keep adding, as it won't fit on common media
> beyond what we've got and there needs to be some way to pick, filter,
> and trim.
>
> We should work more with the Board on this idea of approaching projects
> to strengthen ties to OSGeo.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Hamish, these two disaster support projects do look very interesting,
and I expect will be good additions to the LiveDVD.

I also agree with Alex that we are in a position where we will need to
start putting limits in place, are we are starting to hit our disk
capacity limits, are we are starting to gain a level of quality which is
very valuable and will take managing to maintain.

As such, I think we need to revisit our guidelines for responsiblity for
projects on the list, possibly categorising projects between:
"Core / Stable / Quality" projects, who meet all our guidelines
and
"Alpha / Beta" software, which is labeled as such, and doesn't tarnish
the name of the established projects.

I suggest that we discuss and refine these guidelines over the next
month or so, probably in conjunction with other OSGeo committees, in
particular the marketing committee. Once refined, we can go forth to
projects asking them to align with the guidelines.