[Live-demo] OSGeo wiki or google spread sheet?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 12:15:55 PDT 2010

Yes,
On a philosophical level, I would much prefer to use Open Source wikis,
with all data in one location.
However, since FOSS4G we moved away from wikis for handling tables because:
* 10 sec updates took 5 minutes in a wiki
* We were getting many errors in wiki tables because people were
accidently not lining rows and columns up correctly in wikis (myself
being one of the worst offenders)
* There was a resistance from the general public to update wiki tables
as the learning curve was too great
* Ie, we were not collecting all the data we wanted

The added bonus is that we can add formulas like "Sum()" to get totals
of data easily with spreadsheets. (I tend to use the powerful features
of spreadsheets a lot, like vlookup() which can be used for powerful
analysis quite easily)