[Live-demo] Re: DHCP

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Mar 28 18:25:46 PDT 2010

Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing this right now from the 3.0rc5 disc with IP address given by
> work's DHCP using the NIC's MAC address. All works as expected for me.
>

> As for changing the firefox homepage, a problem with doing that automatically
> is the the user's .mozilla profile is randomly generated the first time
> you run it, and so the install script's pre-seeding should really go into a
> /etc skeleton file, not the home dir. running firefox before the main_docs
> install script might work.
>
> see the install_main_docs.sh script for the existing attempt to set the firefox homepage.
>

> similarly at the end of setdown.sh we might try to rm -rf ~/.config/ so
> that the system's desktop menu is created for the end-user instead of
> the currently logged in user's version. It'll mess up the builder's
> session a bit, and be reset when they log out (after having created the
> ISO), but maybe that is acceptable. (another alternative is to run
> the installers from another WM or just no-X11 single user mode)
>
> currently that's commented out.
>

> Hamish

I'm going to explore alternate build methodologies the next few months
before we really get into the next release cycle to see if changing that
will solve several issues that are starting to come up....
Firefox, menus, hostname, boot language selection, install from desktop
icon, etc.

Suggestions are welcome though I think we have a pretty good list of
possible methods on the wiki pages already, the details of which just
need to be worked out and tested.