[Live-demo] please avoid storing huge files in SVN

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 13:02:30 PDT 2010

Hamish wrote:
> trunk/sleeve/ contains some hundreds of megabytes of binary files.
> Subversion is intended to be a version management system, not a data
> warehouse. Huge binary files (say >5mb) should be housed outside svn,
> e.g. at  http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/

ok, understood.

I'm open to moving large files out of svn, but we should set up a
consistent policy on how we do this, which we describe in our wiki
somewhere.

I would like to be able to have versions of big images like cd-covers or
desktop backgrounds.
We all will be updating these files, and I'm sure there will be times
when we want to roll back to prior versions, or find out who changed a
version, so that we can talk with them and understand their motives, or
similar.

I'm also uncomfortable throwing out alpha versions of our ISO builds. I
think that will be a problem for us some time in the future. Someone
will say "But it worked in alpha3, what changed which caused it not to
work in the final release?"

It is possible we should be considering moving to some project hosting
infrastructure, like google code or sourceforge in order to get the disk
space we require.

> Also, large files are a one way door in growing the backend database on
> the svn server. (ungood, but less-worse than the effect was with CVS)

You mentioned similar concerns about moving documentation from html to
odt, which is an issue that I think we should reopen some time soon in
preparation for a 4.0 release.

> thanks,
> Hamish
>
> ps- double check that svn:mime-types are set correctly.

I have to confess that I haven't learned up on mime types (or maybe I
did once, but have forgotten). I know you have mentioned this a few
times. It would help me if there were a few words on this in the wiki
somewhere which I could check back on when I commit.