[Live-demo] Re: [Marketing] Meeting this week - defining marketing requirements for incubation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue May 11 13:57:41 PDT 2010

OSGeo Live list,
Further to this last marketing email. I'm proposing to take the quality
of the OSGeo LiveDVD documentation up a notch for the next release of
the LiveDVD, which in turn will be a very valuable asset outside of the
DVD too.

Please let me know if you agree or not to the following roadmap for
documentation on the Live DVD.
You may also want to add thoughts on where we should be putting this
documentation in subversion.
And we will need at some point to resolve what source format we use.
(Hamish has voted for wiki, I'm in favour of a Word/Open Office/Google
Docs based format)

OSGeo Live requires the following artifacts for each project:

Available from version 3.0, after FOSS4G 2009:

    * Install script
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Install_script>
    * Application Definition
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Application_Definition>

    * Application Overview
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Application_Overview>
    * Logo <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Logo>
    * Test Description
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Test_Description>
    * Test Results
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Test_Results>
    * Windows installers (for some packages)
    * Grouping (to enable categorisation in pull down lists)

To be introduced from version 4.0 for foss4g 2010:

    * Application Quick Start
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Application_Quick_Start>

    * OGC Standards Contenxt Diagram
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#OGC_Standard_Context_Diagrams>

    * OGC Standards Definition
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#OGC_Standard_Definition>

    * OGC Standards Overview
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#OGC_Standards_Overview>

    * Lightening Overview presentation
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#OSGeo-Live_Lightening_Presentation>

To start to be introduced from version 4.0 for foss4g 2010, and expanded
in future versions:

    * Grouping Explanation Overview:
          o Explain what projects in a grouping do.(eg Web Services,
            Mobile, etc)
    * Technology Comparison
      <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Technology_Comparisons>

Future releases:

    * Introduce user and reference documentation. Ideally this should be
      consistant across projects, but it will likely be a number of
      years before such consistancy is achieved, and it may not be
      considered desirable.
    * Introduce training material for each project. This should be
      traced to international learning goals.