[Live-demo] Re: [Workshops] Anyone want to use the OSGeo Live DVD/VM during workshops?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:27:24 PDT 2010

Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> El 18/05/2010 22:33, Cameron Shorter escribió:
>> We can create a Virtual Box image of OSGeo Live if you wish.
>
> +1
>
>> So my question is: Does anyone want to use the OSGeo Live image during
>> workshops?
>
> I'd need to customize that image (add mapnik, mod_tile and some other
> tools). Otherwise, a consistent VM image sounds like a good idea, even
> just from a branding point of view.

Ivan,

You can see the existing contents of the LiveDVD here:
http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/content.html
(note that this url will soon change to http://live.osgeo.org/content.html

Extra applications can potentially be added to the DVD, if they fit our
selection criteria of:

* Open Source
* GeoSpatial
* Stable
* Has documentation, and install script created, and a person acting as
a contact point for the project

Oscar Fonts wrote:
> Yes, it would be nice to have all the workshop & tutorial applications
> preinstalled in the LiveDVD, so people can recall things @ home.
>
> BTW, I was thinking of editing a USB instead of a DVD. Cameron, do you
> think that the image would fit in and work fine in a 4 GB memory
> stick? Any drawbacks you can think of?

Oscar,
I understand that someone else (Alex?) has successfully copied OSGeo
Live onto a USB stick. As noted, the USB has less space than a DVD, and
we are now running out of space on the DVD and need to start making
decisions about how we reduce the size of the image.
Some of our options include:
* Not including Windows and Mac installers
* Asking all applications to use the same example datasets
* Have all applications use the same Java version
* Limit the applications on the DVD. (Hopefully this won't be a major
issue for FOSS4G 2010, but will likely be an issue for FOSS4G 2011)