[Live-demo] Introduction

Jonathan Roach Jonathan.Roach at manly.nsw.gov.au
Tue Nov 23 14:02:02 PST 2010

Hamish,

You make a very compelling point.

however my intentions of experimenting with a 64 bit environment are to assist people buying estate of the art hardware to get their value for the money.

now days users are buying estate of the art computer hardware (computers with multiple processing power), but there are very few software applications that can support a 64 bit environment. most application currently available can work in a 64 bit environment but they still do not use effectively the hardware resources available. Mostly, the Open Source Community have higher chances of making 64-bit software application. This will mean value for money for the low budget customer. Because developers of open source community are not subject to the politics and marketing strategies that a private company is subject to, Open source Software effectively working in a 64 bit environment will give the open source community the upper hand over the private companies making open source application more appealing to a low budget customer and others in the hunt for new software technologies.

I work for a local government and our service provider, for mapping purposes, is Pitney Bowes MapInfo. MapInfo is great product but we have reach it's limits, as organizations that i work for is becoming more aware of how important GIS is for its core business, request are increasing. these are logical and reasonable requests but the program MapInfo has reached its limit and we are starting to run out of solutions. When we brought this to the attention of the Pitney Bowes Mapinfo, they simply did not have an answer and our request was thrown to the too hard basket. because they are not concern with problems of customer where they are not making any money on.

and so as Cameron Shorter has made a point on several presentations of his we are stack with that vendor. but if open source software could offer a more appealing solution, a low budget customer, such as ourselves, could benefit from these solutions offered by the Open Source community, plus the support from companies such as Lisa-soft, would make it very appealing to customers.

specially if it attracts the eye of a technically knowledgeable IT Manger of any organization who is starting to run out of options.

but In response to your statements, Hamish, the live DVD is a demonstration only, if a customer signs up to purchase the software from the Open Source Community they will be installing it locally in their machines. not running it from the DVD.

I think the Live DVD is a great idea for demonstration purposes only but nothing else. but it should provide the option of a 64-bit environment. if the software can operate well in the 64 bit environment then as you well state it, Hamish, 32 bit PCs will be around for the next 5-7 years, working in a 64-bit environment puts the Open Source Community Software Applications 5 to 7 years ahead of the market making us yet more appealing to not only to the low budget user but also to every one else.

and for individual in the GIS industry opens a door of knowledge that not many of us would currently dare to step into because it is too risky.

Regards

Jonathan K. Roach
Geographic and Land Information Systems Officer
Division: Land Use and Sustainability
Branch: Strategic Land Use Planning (Design and Technical Group/GIS)
Manly Council
Phone: (02) 9976 - 1612