[Live-demo] Re: Live-demo Digest, Vol 25, Issue 17

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Nov 27 16:22:59 PST 2010

On 11/27/2010 03:20 PM, activityworkshop wrote:

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:37:15 -0800
>> From: Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
>>   I've built and uploaded the gpsprune package for Lucid. It is now in
>> ubuntugis-unstable. So now the install script should be a simple apt-get
>> now.
>>

> Wow, that's cool, thanks very much! Dare I ask, how difficult was it?
> Did you have to do any recompilation or just a slight tweak to the
> package headers or something?
>
> Second question, would you have done it if it weren't for this 4.5
> release of the live DVD? Was that a one-off fix to get around the
> problem of Prune not being in the Lucid repositories, or would there be
> a benefit to keep this gis-unstable up to date with future backports to
> the LTS release? Version 11 of Prune is already in Narwhal, so if there
> was any interest then theoretically that could be backported too. But if
> it was just a one-off then that's fine too :)

I downloaded the source and debian files from the Maverick package,
modified the changelog to rename the package for lucid, checked the
local build and then put the package to launchpad as source.

So I had:
prune_10/
  debian/
  tim/
  build.sh

cd into prune_10
dch -i  to edit the changelog
debuild to test building
debuild -S -sa -k### (# is your ssh-key for signing)
dput ppa:wildintellect/wildintellect
gpsprune_10-1ubuntu1ppa1~lucid1_source.changes

(Can't find the web page I followed right now)

This was a one time thing specifically to make sure it was available for
Live 4.5 but could be done with future versions. If you have stable
releases of the application and the dependencies are available I think
you used package it for Lucid, Maverick and Natty. The goal of UbuntuGIS
is to have the most recent versions of apps available since the main
repos of Ubuntu can be up to 1 year behind. So if 11 is released there's
nothing stopping it being backported to Lucid and Maverick.