[Live-demo] Re: Prune in the OSGeoLive DVD?

activityworkshop mail at activityworkshop.net
Sat Oct 9 14:00:21 PDT 2010

Hamish wrote:
> looks good to me, I support it.
> do you fall under OSM's umbrella, or are you an independent project?

Thanks! It's independent. Prune uses OSM for the map tiles, and can be
configured to download (and optionally cache) OSM tiles, including
opencyclemap, openpistemap, cloudmade etc. And I've been told by several
OSM contributors that they use it for cleaning up their tracks and
preparing a gpx file for upload to OSM. But it's independent.

> You already sort of answered this but does it require sun's java, or is
> if happy with openjdk? (is that experience imperfect?)
OpenJDK is fine too, I just mentioned sun-java6 because I saw that
you've got that already. The only noticeable difference with OpenJDK
that I've found is that the fonts look slightly different, and layout is
therefore slightly different, but it's not a very big deal, everything
still works.

> Are packages for lucid available from an ubuntu launchpad ppa? (if not
> you can probably submit them to UbuntuGIS's one) or as a simple .deb
> download?

Um... I don't know enough about Ubuntu or launchpad ppas to answer that
one. But I know that Debian's .deb file works fine on Lucid, and
therefore I assume that Ubuntu's Meerkat package will also work fine on
Lucid (but I haven't tried that).

> also, you may want to register Prune in the DebianGIS "blend" list of apps,
> and meta-package(s):
>   http://blends.debian.net/gis/tasks
It's already there, under "Openstreetmap-related programs". Sorry I
should have mentioned earlier that in Debian and Ubuntu it's called
"Gpsprune" because the graphviz program already uses the name "Prune".
Sad, but graphviz was there first.