[Live-demo] Re: Prune in the OSGeoLive DVD?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 13:35:28 PDT 2010

Hamish, good points.

activityworkshop, it does look like your project is a good candidate for
osgeo-live.
My impression of the project so far, with minimal review, is that there
is one developer (yourself?), 10 to 20 translators, and maybe 100 to
1000 users? How many downloads do you get?
Is this about right?

My assessment is that you have a very healthy project, which is in its
early stages of growth.
It is driven by one person, yourself, who is probably quite a good
programmer, but would benefit from some marketing experience. You'd also
benefit from having some more people looking through your code.

Your project is a prime candidate for OSGeo-Live, once you can provide
the confidence that the project is stable and healthy. A bit of
attention to your website will attract you more developers and users.

I'd be happy to mentor you through this early stage if you would like,
and give advice on how to improve your marketing message, and attract
developers.

My advice so far is:
* Update your website so that it has all the key links that people look
for in obvious places: "Downloads", "Contact Us", "About", "Documentation"

* Put your code into svn or similar, and make it easy to find. (I might
be looking in the wrong place).

* Set up an issue tracker

* Start building up your projects processes (a medium term goal). Eg:
Document your release process, ...

I expect that you should be able to put all these things in place before
the next release of OSGeo-Live ~ Feb/March next year. I'd then be more
confident recommending your project as a project up to OSGeo Live's quality.