[Live-demo] Multi-language build working

Daniel Kastl daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Mon Sep 20 01:57:03 PDT 2010

2010/9/20 Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>

> On 09/19/2010 04:12 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> > bin/install_main_docs.sh now builds docs for all languages (into the
> > directory /usr/local/share/osgeolive-docs/ )
> >
> > You will need to either run the script as root, or make the contents of
> > /usr/local/share/osgeolive-docs/ writable. (my preference is the 2nd
> > option).
> >
> > Still missing:
> > * The CSS for the top banner is not working any more. Alex, I wonder if
> > you could help fix that.
> >
> > * We don't have buttons or flags or similar to switch between languages.
> > I suspect we could write some short javascript which identifies what the
> > URL is, and then switches the language (eg from /en/ to /de/) which
> > would mean that you can switch from an English page to the German
> > equivalent of that English page.

That was the initial idea, but I must admit that I'm a bit lost in how the
documentation is build. It doesn't look like the standard Sphinx example
anymore ;-)

> So do these need to be tackled before a build can happen. It wasn't
> clear to me that the translation was done so I wasn't sure if I was
> supposed to try building 4.1 today.

I'm not sure when we can call it "done." Probably there will be always
chapters missing, but then the page will be the English one. (I think the
"Standards pages for example are not really fun to translate).
So far the German translation has the largest amount of translated overview
documents (it's not fully translated though). I don't know how to do with
other languages, that started translation. They will mostly be in English,
so do we define some criteria from when a language should be added?

Daniel