[Live-demo] OSGeo Production Server

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:06:49 PDT 2010

On 29/09/10 02:14, Hernan Olivera wrote:
> Is OsGeo live dvd installed to hard disk ok for production use?
> If not, what would be necessary to do that?
> It would be great to have an OSGeo Server distro, isn't it?

Hernan,
We have asked all application builders to build their applications under
the assumption that it will be installed on a DVD, with limited disk
space and limited memory.
This is usually not the best configuration for a server installation.

Alex also noted that we would need to change username and password and
do a bit of an audit.

So as it stands, OSGeo Live would not be ready for production, however I
don't think it would be much to make it ready for production.
What I see needs to be done:

1. A person (maybe you?) steps forward to coordinate.

2. We define what the requirements should be for a Server version of OSGeo.

3. We translate these requirements into general requirements for each
project to follow when building their application. (Their build script
may need to accept 2 build options, one for a DVD target and the other
for a server).

4. We set add milestones to the OSGeoLive schedule.

5. We test, test, and more test. (This is the hardest part to resource)

Geospatial Director