[Live-demo] OSGeo Production Server

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:44:56 PDT 2010

Hernan,
It would be hugely valuable if you could facilitate the migration of
OSGeoLive applications to debian/ubuntu or some other variant of an
OSGeo Production Server.

I'm not sure how much work it is to migrate to .deb, but my impression
so far is there is a lot of work involved (which is why we took the
short cut of just creating install scripts).
Hamish would likely be able to give you a better feel for what is
involved and the steps to follow.

I suggest you try migrating one application to a .deb file, and see how
feasible it is, then we can work out a strategy for the rest of the
applications.

I suspect that the migration to ubuntu/debian will be a long term thing,
which will take a year or two before we finish. As an interim measure,
we could create a "Production Server" version using the same build
scripts we use for OSGeo-Live.

I suggest you start by focusing on the server applications. Getting the
process worked out for java based applications would be the most
valuable (as we don't have any java applications in .deb yet). Maybe
start with geonetwork or geoserver.

The main strategy I suggest you follow is experimentation. Try
something, see if it works, see how long it will likely take, see if it
is repeatable, then adjust your process and try again. Once you have
worked out the process, document it, then  mentor other projects through
the process.

Ask lots of questions - there will be many of us willing to support you,
especially as a Production Server will be such a valuable asset to the
OSGeo community.