[Live-demo] How to add a new MacOS X package to the list

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 15:37:26 PDT 2011

GĂ©rald wrote:
> Indeed as presented here [1] we get a simple MacOS X
> installer to easily deploy ZOO-Kernel and
> OGR base vector operations services.

how big is the filesize?

> Si I would like to add the package to the list of available
> software for MacOS X but I don't know the way to go.

fyi, the current spot for Mac installers is:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/load_mac_installers.sh

Cameron
> Consequently, when we start planning for the next OSGeo-Live
> release, I think we are going to revisit our options for space
> saving. At this point, I think it is likely that we will need to
> remove Windows and Mac installers from the standard ISO.

what new projects were you considering adding? I think we may
start to see a leveling of the new [large] project curve. who's
left to still collect? :)

Opticks is one project that comes to mind as a possible invitee.

> We may move the installers to an OSGeo Server directory, and
> point people at this directory.

fwiw sync'ing that twice a year shouldn't be too much of a
burden, but keeping it always up to date is too much of a
maintenance time sink. A project-maintainable page on the wiki
for their contact info would be good too.
Beware your responsibility to also offer source for download
under the (L)GPL. pointing to the upstream's download-source page
is not enough*. (that goes for the disc too I guess, but it feels
more acute with a .dmg/.exe installer repository)

[*] as it might go away, such as when the makers of .ecw were
gobbled up by a larger megacorp who were not interested in keeping
the code under a Free license.

best,
Hamish

ps- we need to re-iso the full download ISO of 4.5 with fixed
filenames in the MS Windows installer directory, as apparently
that breaks USB installs of it (either fat32 can't handle the
special chars, or the 3rd party installer software doesn't
quote filenames fully). hopefully a surgical incision is just
needed, and not a full rebuild of a 4.5.1.