[Live-demo] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Introduction to geospatial open source event at FOSS4G

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:47:45 PDT 2011

Peter, Brian,

I love the outline you have for the one day "Introduction for GeoSpatial
Open Source". What I noticed at FOSS4G 2009 was that there were many
local manager types who attended who were not familiar with the OSGeo
culture. They didn't have the basic general understandings about FOSS
and GeoFOSS software which we as a community have picked up, but they
were keen to learn about it. I think this day presentation will be very
valuable for this community.

I also see your event as an opportunity to improve the training material
we have been creating for the OSGeo-Live project. In particular, we have
built a 30 minute (quite rushed) presentation which outlines the 45
applications installed on OSGeo-Live.
It is available here:
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/promo/trunk/en/presentation
<https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/promo/trunk/en/presentation/>
And videoed here:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2010/09/osgeolive-40-lightening-overview.html
(It is based upon the material at http://live.osgeo.org )

This could provide base material for your "Wading into Open Source"
session, and I'm sure that you could extend and improve what we have
already created.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on whether you would like to see
your training material incorporated back into the OSGeo-Live material,
such that it can be re-used in other conferences.

On 30/04/11 08:31, Peter Batty wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This has already been mentioned on the FOSS4G list, but I wanted to
> make sure that everyone was aware that we'll be a doing a one day
> "introduction to geospatial open source" event the day before the main
> conference starts, in parallel with the pre-conference workshops. This
> will be aimed at a broad audience, but in particular at users,
> developers and managers involved with geospatial software / GIS who
> haven’t yet had significant involvement with open source. It will work
> equally well as a standalone event, or as a way of getting up to speed
> to get the most out of the full FOSS4G conference.
>
> More details at http://2011.foss4g.org/intro-details/.
>
> If you know of people who could benefit from this, please let them
> know! We'll be publicizing it through various channels.
>
> The event is being organized by Brian Timoney, who has previously run
> several similar events locally. We have several speakers lined up
> already, and we'll be looking over the abstracts submitted to the main
> conference also, and may ask some people to participate based on
> those. If you have suggestions or interest in participating feel free
> to contact Brian or myself.
>
> Cheers,
>     Peter.

Geospatial Director