[Live-demo] 5.0 Beta 4 Status - Space

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 15:42:40 PDT 2011

On 08/08/11 07:15, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Space - Seems like every apt-get dist-upgrade is taking more MB even
> though I'm cleaning the old kernels out. Our datasets are also at
> ~770MB+, we may need to selective slim part of that out or we will miss
> our Mini ISO target of fitting on a 4GB flash drive. (Note Beta3 iso was
> 3.8 GB which might already be too big, estimate this version is ~3.9 GB)
I'd be interested to see a space audit between last build and this to
see what has been included.
As far as I'm aware, MapGuide is not included in this release any more,
which was a few hundred meg (uncompressed)

I wonder whether introducing the gcc 4 compiler is related. Maybe there
is a compile option which we could use which prefers space over speed.

Maybe our base Xubuntu size is bigger than before?
Maybe we can remove some base Xubuntu packages?

I'm aware that Hamish has introduced the 100Meg North Carolina dataset,
which I understand is useful for local council type datasets.
I think that GeoMoose, a new application, is also using a local dataset,
not sure which, but we might be able to save space by sharing.

Are you including windows installers in your metrics? My gut feeling is
that we will likely need to remove installers from this release and
instead point at a windows installer directory.