[Live-demo] 5.0 Beta 4 Status

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 16:50:05 PDT 2011

Alex wrote:
> Logs are up.
> VM will be done shortly.
> ISO to come in a few hours.
>
> Biggest concerns right now:
> Fixing the menus/panels (Hamish?)

yup, it's on my todo list.  (along with a bunch of other stuff :)

> Space -

try installing filelight and having a poke around.

I'm wondering if I should narrow the OSM Denver data bounding
box a bit. the OSM.bz2 file isn't too huge but I'm not sure
how much that grows after getting imported into PostGIS.
the dataset is much larger than Barcelona's was.

I'm thinking to sacrifice MB-System to save ~300mb. (not core
OSGeo project; that one is particularly big due to dozens of
small programs all statically linking to the same I/O libraries)

I'll have to check if anyone is using the North Carolina sample
dataset in their quickstarts, I'd really like to have that on
the disc for the workshops but it's 100mb may make the critical
difference.

even with those two we're left with ~400mb to find, right?

> Seems like every apt-get dist-upgrade is taking more MB even
> though I'm cleaning the old kernels out.

which method do you use to make the ISO? same as before?
`apt-get clean` ? :)

ISTR that for the USB installs (Ubu System menu) it would create
a compressed read-only file system, then any changes to that
were stored in the read-write user partition and applied at
boot, so that in time you filled up the rest.
nothing like that happening, right??

cheers,
Hamish