[Live-demo] Can we remove OpenJDK from OSGeo-Live?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 02:17:55 PDT 2011

Jorge:
> I understand that we have to save space but maybe is a better idea (as
> a rule of thumb) to use official packages and improve other projects
[...]

I agree; as tempting it may seem, as a rule of thumb never go off into the
rough if you can possibly help it. :)

> > > Yes on principal we want projects to go 100% open, maybe some open
> > > java champions can help push that for version 5.5 in 6 months.
Jody:
> > I will underline the fact that open java is massive testing burden and
> > unlikely to happen.

Keep in mind that our ability to redistribute Sun's java + j-libs at all
is hanging by a very thin thread (a single sentence exemption in their
long EULA), and was so long before Java went to its new master.

In 6 months the rules may change and we may have no choice but to use
the OpenJDK version ... I don't mean that as FUD, just that I'd advocate
that folks think about having some sort of insurance policy in place.

just sayin'
Hamish