[Live-demo] Can we remove OpenJDK from OSGeo-Live?

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 03:56:12 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:

> I just wanted to share my surprise when reading that. I actually re-read twice
> to be sure I didn't understand it the wrong way...

Unless things have changed the last year, most java gis packages rely
on geotools, which in turn relies on jai, which is a non free library
(it is possible to build without jai, but you would be missing too
much functionality).

This is also one of the reasons why none of these packages are in
debian or ubuntu.

See eg:
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/JAI-core-acceptable-in-non-free-td4924691.html