[Live-demo] help with keyboard language changer and autologin ?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 00:57:46 PDT 2011

our user help mentions:

> "To change the language, log out (Applications menu) and
> along the bottom of the login screen is the language menu.
> Once you log back in (the password if you need it is
> "user"), there is a flag icon on the top menu bar that lets
> you pick the keyboard layout. You can also set it via the
> menus with Applications > System > Language Support."

except in this version of xubuntu there is no flag icon on
the upper taskbar. Can anyone figure out how to (manually) re-
enable that tool?

also anyone have an idea how to get gdm into kiosk-mode & respawn
the auto-login after a user logs out? currently that only works
the first time the system boots.

and finally there is an envelope icon on the task bar which
belongs to the Indicator applet. AFAICT from a fresh xUbuntu
CD that's there leave you messages, if we hadn't already
removed it the Pidgin IM service would have a notification
there trying to get you to sign up for an account. I'd like
to keep the volume and [wireless] network indicators there,
but how to get rid of the notification envelope? real estate
on the taskbar is very valuable in the 11.04 desktop.

thanks,
Hamish