[Live-demo] Revisiting graphics

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Aug 23 20:59:50 PDT 2011

> As I said earlier today in more detail with Tyler, presentation
> graphics that are a collection of clashing logos is actually very
> harmful in this situation. Why ? because it sends the messeges of last
> minute, collection of disparate components. A garage sale, a flea
> market, poor craftsmanship, etc..  This is *exactly* what this LiveDVD
> is not, and is *exactly* what an outside cynic would start off to
> accuse it of !!

It seems this is your final graphic we should be discussing, right?
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/desktop-conf/live-dvd-FOSS4G_sm2a.png

I can certainly appreciate the desire to make a top notch product, thank you for your enthusiasm, you certainly aren't the only one worrying about it though.  We went for professional designs for FOSS4G and OSGeo logos for precisely this same purpose.  Unfortunately, the above background is an interpretation of the FOSS4G logo, which I'm not in favour of.  As important as the Live project is, it shouldn't really be determining how FOSS4G trademark elements should be modified.

I don't see how colours of the logos I was showing are really clashing at all.  They are identities in and of themselves, so having them on the same page is not the same as trying to combine them.  For example, you wouldn't expect to tweak all the project icons on the desktop to coordinate with the background.  I'm not exactly proposing a NASCAR wrap :)

I'm not putting down your work but had to bring up my concern because it involved the FOSS4G brand.  You'll get just as much enthusiasm if you did it with the OSGeo logo ;-)

Thanks for listening,
Tyler