[Live-demo] Revisiting graphics

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Aug 23 22:11:03 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-23, at 9:32 PM, maplabs at light42.com wrote:

> You are in effect defending the logo as is for the conference.. without
> change, in all cases.. Do you really think that knot on the banner is a
> successful, balanced element in the design? and in a stretched,
> enlarged version, is this really going to look good?  I retreated away
> from the knot because it strikes me as ungainly. i suspect I am not the
> only one to notice this.. Is it really necessary to scrap a polished
> piece of work, to substitute this logo?

Should "defending" the official logo really be necessary?

Acceptable official logo usage was beat to death on the marketing list already.  The FOSS4G organising committee used a designer that gave us several options and we used a community voting process.  This sort of vetting may seem unprofessional but the idea is to get it in front of as many eyes as possible to get an honest assessment of appeal and overcome our personal biases.  In this case we didn't only "suspect" what people thought but actually requested it and considered it.  I'm sure you did your vetting, so won't belabour the point, but overriding that kind of input (e.g. that we got for the logo) does not encourage collaboration unfortunately.

It's late, I grant that and won't bother you more on it ... this week.  We'll make it an important topic for future marketing meetings.  It just shows me we have some more work to do in making the marketing ties across projects like this a bit tighter.

Thanks for elucidating your rationale.

Tyler