[Live-demo] finding that last 100mb

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 02:40:38 PDT 2011

Hi,

so the 5.0rc3 build came in small enough to fit on a USB stick
but 100mb too big to make the full DVD without sacrificing
some of our installers & usb user-space.

We are frozen in critical-bug-fix only mode now, but as not
physically fitting on a DVD is kinda important, I propose to
remove the following packages to free up as much space as we
can muster.

So make lots of noise quickly if you have any objection or
worry it may cause problems big or small. I suspect that
they are just left over from the build process.

75.805 MB	 openjdk-6-jre-headless   [rasdaman]
11.543 MB	 python2.7-dev   <=== req'd ?   [sahaha]
11.055 MB	 python2.6-dev   <=== req'd ?   [mapfish]
11.551 MB	 libsane   <== scanner lib used by rm'd gimp

also, I do not propose to touch it for this cycle, but I wonder,
do we need to keep Sun's JDK if we have the JRE?

59.938 MB	 sun-java6-jdk
13.980 MB        sun-java6-jre

To aid in testing I'd ask that any testers manually remove the
above pkgs before testing:

 sudo apt-get remove openjdk-6-jre-headless \
   python2.6-dev python2.7-dev libsane

thanks,
Hamish

[0] http://live.osgeo.org/dev/build