[Live-demo] new (probably final) build complete, ready for testing

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 06:17:05 PDT 2011

Hi,

After a marathon & herculean effort I think Alex has crashed out
for a few hours. But before he went he uploaded the latest build-
   http://live.osgeo.org/dev/build/

The VM and mini-iso are up now. The full DVD ISO will be up in
the morning.  I haven't finished downloading the ISO yet, but the
VM seems to be working well on everything I've tried so far!

if all goes well this will be the build that goes to the printers.
if there are any problems (and there may be some) I sort of
expect them to be found on the ISO version..

you can install to a bootable USB from either the VM or the ISO
using Applications > System > Startup Disk Creator.

If you have a 4gb usb stick you want to install from the ISO as
there have been some filesystem tricks to make it fit in there.
If you have a 8gb+ usb stick you might want to install from the
VM, as tricks to stuff the filesystem onto the smaller drives
might cause some trouble*. We should test both ways and compare
notes.

[*] (e.g. logging out from the top-right menu seems not to work
from the ISO, so either use the provided desktop icons on the ISO
or the logout from the Applications or right click menu, or just
hit the big red power button.. it's a read-only filesystem and
you can't hurt it)

OpenGL apps don't run well on virtual machines and will need to
be tested from a burned DVD or bootable USB drive.

instructions on how to run it on a VM can be found on the website
help (http://live.osgeo.org) and on the Wiki pages linked from
there.

If we get good feedback in the next few hours I expect Cameron
will put an all hands on deck call out to osgeo-discuss for
testing beyond our small dev community here, and in <24 hours
we'll have to decide if it is good enough or not. So get in now
before all the world knows about it and Alex's server crawls to
a complete halt. :)

test test test! it's our last chance to find problems before
our efforts of the last months are set in solid plastic.

thanks,
Hamish