[Live-demo] Java apps: better get working on your OpenJDK port ...

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 05:02:14 PST 2011

Frank Gasdorf wrote:
> I guess had this request and answer session last August. I'm not sure
> but I guess anything hasn't changed since, has it?
>
> Please have a look :
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Can-we-remove-OpenJDK-from-OSGeo-Live-td6669738.html

Yes, something very important has changed, that thread was about removing
OpenJDK from the disc to save space. Now* we have no choice but to ONLY
ship OpenJDK and not Sun's Java. (* or at least in the very near future)

Also what has changed is that OpenJDK has improved a lot recently, and so
things on our side which didn't work before, might magically start to.

from that previous thread:

On 2011-08-10 Hamish wrote:
> Keep in mind that our ability to redistribute Sun's java + j-libs at all
> is hanging by a very thin thread (a single sentence exemption in their
> long EULA), and was so long before Java went to its new master.
>
> In 6 months the rules may change and we may have no choice but to use
> the OpenJDK version ... I don't mean that as FUD, just that I'd advocate
> that folks think about having some sort of insurance policy in place.

Well my timing was a bit off. It was 15 days after I posted that when their
announcement came, not 6 months.

Feet draggers might also consider that java-7 is out, java-6 will soon be
headed towards EOL, and Java-7 is based on the OpenJDK codebase.

best,
Hamish