[Live-demo] Software categories organization

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Feb 4 12:38:00 PST 2011

On 02/04/2011 12:19 PM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Since we have new packages like OTB and Rasdaman, that do not fall under
> any of the existing categories (Desktop GIS, Web Services etc) I think
> it is time for a new software category in Live DVD.
>
> I would like to suggest "Remote Sensing Applications" or "Raster
> Application".
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Angelos

Not to start a flame-war or anything but Remote Sensing in the context
of Earth related stuff is GIS (I prefer to lump them all as Geospatial
but that's another story). It would probably be offensive to GRASS to
not be in both categories if we created "Remote Sensing" and would be
highly confusing once we get the OTB toolbox plugin for QGIS working.

Looking at the info Rasdaman it is an add on to Postgres, GDAL and Web
Services. I would put it in Web Services (It does appear to run some
sort of Java server) or Spatial Tools.

As for OTB, that depends on the sample applications, most of those seem
to fall under Desktop GIS. The library itself would be a Spatial Tool in
my mind.

I am open for a more inclusive name for "Desktop GIS" to indicate that
remote sensing is included.