[Live-demo] Enhancement for Version number in Online Documentation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 04:29:02 PDT 2011

On 07/07/11 20:10, Frank Gasdorf wrote:
> Right, I removed the version from makefile, because it's a post
> process on html files and have not replaced all OSGeo
> Live occurrences. Few days ago I requested an enhancement to put the
> version number at a specific place, lets say right behind the banner,
> that every page shows the current version number. I haven't got any
> feedback yet. IMHO the whole doc should be without any version number,
> except the HOME index page.

I suggest you go ahead and insert the version tag in:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html
Welcome to OSGeo-Live <version>

http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html
OSGeo-Live <version> Contents

http://live.osgeo.org/en/download.html
The latest stable release of OSGeo-Live <version>:

> Whats next? I'll go over and replace all OSGeo-Live places with
> OSGeo-Live |version| and thats it. Otherwise we could use
> replacements, but right now I don't know how to define global values,
> that can be referenced in all *.rst files.

If you are not able to work out how to insert the global variables, then
we should revert to using the previous post HTML production of inserting
VERSION. It is not perfect, but it does work.

> Thanks a lot for the adhoc url, that everybody can have a look at the
> current content! Are the pages uploaded daily?

Yes, reloaded daily.

> [...]
>     http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/index.html
>
>     Are you able to look into this?
>
>     We don't have a nightly mavin build or similar automated build
>     process (yet). Having one could make our build process easier if
>     someone were able to set it up.
>

>     On 04/07/11 17:02, Frank Gasdorf wrote:
>>     Thanks Hamish, please have a look at the inline comments ..
>>
>>     2011/7/4 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com <mailto:hamish_b at yahoo.com>>
>>
>>         Frank wrote:
>>         > OK, just fixed the version read from VERSION.txt in conf.py
>>         > and updated html_tilte property - in the title was still v4.5
>>         > instead of the current version.
>>
>>         thanks
>>
>>         > I tried it on mac os but the arguments for sphinx-build
>>         > command where not used like I thought it would. Therefore the
>>         > python conf.py update to read from version file instead of
>>         > parameters for sphinx-build command in Makefile
>>
>>         sphinx has been a bit of a moving target.. can you set up a
>>         virtual machine in OSX to run xubuntu 11.04 in? it's the best
>>         way to verify the results are the same.
>>

>>     Agree, it was only mentioned to get feedback if anybody else had
>>     problems like this. I know, that the geotools project works with
>>     ant build scripts and there it seems to work but I've no idea
>>     what OS the build server for the docs is running.
>>
>>         also note that if the Makefile changes the nightly doc build
>>         on the adhoc server stops until I validate them. (intentional
>>         feature, not a bug)
>>
>>     Quit interesting. Everything still all right after my changes? Is
>>     there a public accessible build server (hudson/jenkins) where I
>>     can check the build results? Is it possible to get these results
>>     to the mailing list?
>>

>>         > In addition I searched all 'OSGeo Live' occurrences and
>>         > replaced it with OSGeo-Live.
>>
>>         it would be better to make the grep regex more robust, rather
>>         than forcing all docs to use an identical version of the nom du
>>         jour.
>>
>>         grep 'OSGeo[ -]Live' *.rst
>>
>>     Thanks! To be exact I used the sed and searched
>>     the regular expression 'OSGeo.Live' and replaced it
>>     with OSGeo-Live. ;)
>>

>>         > Last but not least I updated the copyright to 2011.
>>
>>         thanks,
>>

>>         with respect to :Version: in the ReST docs header comments, I
>>         would like to preserve that, it makes it easy to know if I've
>>         verified that the content is still valid for the currently
>>         packaged version of the software. (making it the version of
>>         the software would be just as good)  that version doesn't need
>>         to be exported beyond the ReST document though.
>>

>>         cheers,
>>         Hamish

>     --
>     Cameron Shorter
>     Geospatial Director
>     Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
>     Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
>     Think Globally, Fix Locally
>     Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source

Geospatial Director