[Live-demo] Liberal licensing of Project Overviews in LiveDVD, do we want this?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 04:55:15 PDT 2011

Simon,
It is a delicate balance we have between covering our legal
requirements, and putting so much red tape in place that volunteers
don't contribute. I'd hate to see everyone's gifts of good will be
hindered by red tape.

My previous suggestion was what I consider to be the bare minimum, and I
would consider it acceptable.
I do agree that it would be an added bonus, and preferable, to also
reference source material, and I am happy to encourage people to
reference sources if they can readily identify them. But I don't want to
mandate this as a criteria.

In the case of Project Overviews, which are brief summaries from
external sources, I expect that the "Fair Use" clause is applicable,
which says that you can use parts of copyright docs as part of a review.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Lastly, it is sometimes worth checking the legal consequences of us
getting the licenses wrong. Is someone likely to sue OSGeo-Live for
inappropriately using material put into Project Overviews or
Quickstarts? I think not. Actually, I think it very unlikely that owners
of source material would be offended in the slightest. They'd be more
likely to be offended if their material were not included. But lets say
someone is offended, we can simply say "I'm sorry" then rewrite any
offending material, as Overviews and Quickstarts are quite short, and
only a minimal amount to work to recreate. (Or minimal compared to the
time we are spending discussing licenses).

Geospatial Director