[Live-demo] Adding tinyows to OSGEO-Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 14:14:13 PDT 2011

On 7/06/2011 12:33 AM, Olivier Courtin wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>>> 1.0.0 will be the first mature release of TinyOWS to be that close to
>>> this ideal.
>>
>> Can you please expand on this answer. In particular, I'm looking for
>> confidence that this application is more than just alpha quality
>> software that a single developer behind it, which still has the
>> occasional show-stopper bug.
>>
>> Are there any notable risk adverse agencies using this application?
>> Please mention them.
>
> As the aim is mainly to give write access to PostGIS data through a
> Web Service,
> the main risk, as a desktop application, is data corruption.
> (on a server production, it's SQL Injection)

I think you have mis-understood my question here. I'm actually looking
to hear examples of organisations who use tinyows. The type of users is
often an indication of the quality of the project, as certain users,
such as many government agencies, will only accept high quality software.

>> Roughly how many people commit to the code base regularly?
>
> 3 active core developpers
>
>> Is there an active email list?
>
> 2 in fact:

Thanks, what I was looking for is an indication that email lists are
active, and responsive. And from a quick glance in the archives, that
seems to be the case.

>> Is there anything else you can mention to provide confidence that the
>> application is stable, and has a stable community behind it?
>
> The application pass successfully about 1000 OGC CITE units tests.

Nice. That bodes well in your favour.

> All tests are also valgrinded to prevent any logical or memory leaks.
>
> A more complete code review is available here,
> http://mapserver.org/es/development/rfc/ms-rfc-70.html

I notice that tinyows is likely to be used mainly with mapserver. Are
there any plans to import into the mapserver codebase at some point?
(which would be a positive for the project).
Or possibly become owned by the mapserver project? (also a positive sign
from a user acceptance point of view)