[Live-demo] Adding tinyows to OSGEO-Live

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at oslandia.com
Tue Jun 7 16:38:53 PDT 2011

On Jun 6, 2011, at 11:14 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

Cameron,

>>> Are there any notable risk adverse agencies using this
>>> application? Please mention them.
>>
>> As the aim is mainly to give write access to PostGIS data through a
>> Web Service,
>> the main risk, as a desktop application, is data corruption.
>> (on a server production, it's SQL Injection)
>
> I think you have mis-understood my question here. I'm actually
> looking to hear examples of organisations who use tinyows. The type
> of users is often an indication of the quality of the project, as
> certain users, such as many government agencies, will only accept
> high quality software.

Indeed it was a real misunderstood :)

Some European organizations who already use it:

- Romania Agricultur agency
   http://www.apia.org.ro
   It's an application for farmers (about one million) who want to apply
   for area based EU subsidies in Romania.
   (up to 3.800 concurrent users)

- Bruxelles area administration (Belgium province)
   http://www.bruxellesenvironnement.be
   INSPIRE context, aim is to provide WFS service,
   for more than 300 PostGIS layers

We also known few others organisations who use it, but who don't
want to communicate on their Open Source apps.

Some well known GIS companies who use it,
and involved somehow in the project:
- DMSolutions
- Faunalia
- Oslandia
- MapGears
- Sourcepole

>> A more complete code review is available here,
>> http://mapserver.org/es/development/rfc/ms-rfc-70.html
>
> I notice that tinyows is likely to be used mainly with mapserver.

Server side its a common use case indeed
On the other hand client side QGIS or OpenLayers are oftenly used.

> Are there any plans to import into the mapserver codebase at some
> point? (which would be a positive for the project).
> Or possibly become owned by the mapserver project? (also a positive
> sign from a user acceptance point of view)

It have been discussed on Montreal Code Sprint and on Mapserver-dev,
for now the related RFC is not (yet) voted, so nothing official at
this point.

Nota; TInyOWS  FoSS4G 2011 presentation was just accepted.

--
Olivier